Dog Health

Beware says FDA, A Little Artificial Sweetener Could Kill Your Dog

Don't let your dogs ingest any form of artificial sweetener.

Don’t let your dogs ingest any form of artificial sweetener.

The FDA has recently informed the public about the possible dangers our dogs can get from artificial sweetener. Since we commonly use it every day, there’s a huge risk for our fur babies.

In fact, one of the most popular dog and man favorite treat is peanut butter, which may have artificial sweetener.

According to the FDA, an artificial sweetener, xylitol, which is found in gums, tooth paste, breath mints, etc can easily cause a disaster for dogs.

It will only take 12 to 24 hours before symptoms show up.

 

“When dogs eat something containing xylitol, the xylitol is more quickly absorbed into the bloodstream, and may result in a potent release of insulin from the pancreas,” the FDA said.

Symptoms to look out for in dogs that have eaten xylitol are vomiting, then followed by symptoms associated with the sudden lowering of your dog’s blood sugar, such as decreased activity, weakness, staggering, in coordination, collapse and seizures.

The FDA suggests getting your dog to a veterinarian right away if they have ingested xylitol.

This is the first official warning to dog owners about xylitol, but veterinarians have been speaking on the ill-effects of this artificial sweetener for years. But attention cat owners: no ill-effects have been seen in cats, according to the FDA.

wtvm.com

Make sure that products with xylitol are out of your dog’s reach. When it comes to toothpaste, use one that is specifically made for dogs. Never allow them to use human tooth paste.

To Top